Orecchiette with Sausage & Spinach
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 1- pint grape tomatoes - cut in half
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine Pinot Grigio
- 4 cloves fresh garlic sliced
- Kosher salt to taste – plus 2 tablespoons
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, and cook, turning occasionally until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove sausage to a plate and reserve pan and sausage drippings. Brown 2 cloves of sliced garlic in pan’s drippings over medium heat add spinach, salt, and pepper to taste and sauté for 3 minutes until slightly wilted, remove from pan and add to plate of sausage.
Over medium heat, sauté 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin oil, red pepper flakes and 2 sliced cloves of garlic until golden brown. Add sliced grape tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly soft. Add in sausage and spinach. Add chicken broth, white wine, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pot (6 quartof cold water (add 2 tablespoons of salover high heat to a rolling boil. Add pasta to boiling water and cook for about 11-12 minutes to desired texture. Drain pasta in a colander in the sink, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl. Add sausage, spinach and tomato mixture to pasta. Add some of the pasta cooking liquid to the mixture and toss gently. Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve!