Mamma Graziella’s Pastiera (Wheat Pie)
- 2.2 Lbs . Ricotta 2-2/3 Cups Sugar
- 10 Eggs separate yolk, and whip white until stiff
- 2.2 Lbs . shelled grain (wheaweight after soaking
- over-night in water and cooking with milk
- 1 Bottle orange water 2 Tbs. Crisco, 1 Cup Citron
- 2 Tbs . Sugar 1 Tbs. Crisco, 4 Eggs
- 2-1/4 Cups Flour enough flour for a manageable dough
Rinse soaked wheat several times.
Cook in milk with 2 spoons of crisco until all absorbed, cool.
Beat yolks and sugar together, and then add ricotta
(first pass through a strainer).
Mix orange water, wheat and fruit.
Fold everything in stiffened egg whites.
Roll dough thin, cut strips for the top. Criss-cross dough.
Bake at 350º until golden and firm for about 1 hour or more.